PHOENIX — Two men were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of robbing a home in Yarnell, Ariz., while it was under an evacuation order because of a wildfire, the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Authorities said that, sometime between June 30 and July 8, Dakota Slone, 27, and Robert Frost, 22, broke into a home through a bedroom window and stole firearms, knives, coins and jewelry. Police sent out a bulletin describing the stolen property.
The victim told deputies that he spotted the suspects near his home during the evacuation process. A deputy made contact with Slone and Frost, who said they were aiding the evacuation. One was searching for a car to drive to Peeples Valley.
On July 10, a pawn shop informed YCSO that a knife matching the description of one that was stolen was pawned by Frost, who accepted a cash payout.
Slone and Frost were located in a Prescott motel room where a stolen telescope was found. Slone, a Yarnell resident, also told deputies that some of the stolen goods were buried in the woods. Those items were recovered.
Some of the stolen items, including the firearms, have not been located.
Authorities said Slone is being held on suspicion of burglary, theft and five counts of
trafficking stolen property.
They said Frost is facing charges of burglary, theft and trafficking in
About 20 percent of the homes in Yarnell were destroyed by fire.
Anyone with information on this crime or suspects should contact YCSO at (928) 771-3260.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food