PHOENIX — Two men were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of robbing a home in Yarnell, Ariz., while it was under an evacuation order because of a wildfire, the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Authorities said that, sometime between June 30 and July 8, Dakota Slone, 27, and Robert Frost, 22, broke into a home through a bedroom window and stole firearms, knives, coins and jewelry. Police sent out a bulletin describing the stolen property.
The victim told deputies that he spotted the suspects near his home during the evacuation process. A deputy made contact with Slone and Frost, who said they were aiding the evacuation. One was searching for a car to drive to Peeples Valley.
On July 10, a pawn shop informed YCSO that a knife matching the description of one that was stolen was pawned by Frost, who accepted a cash payout.
Slone and Frost were located in a Prescott motel room where a stolen telescope was found. Slone, a Yarnell resident, also told deputies that some of the stolen goods were buried in the woods. Those items were recovered.
Some of the stolen items, including the firearms, have not been located.
Authorities said Slone is being held on suspicion of burglary, theft and five counts of
trafficking stolen property.
They said Frost is facing charges of burglary, theft and trafficking in
About 20 percent of the homes in Yarnell were destroyed by fire.
Anyone with information on this crime or suspects should contact YCSO at (928) 771-3260.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier