PHOENIX — A few lanes were reopened Thursday afternoon after a large fruit spill closed westbound Interstate 10 inside the Deck Park Tunnel.
“A watermelon truck actually crashed into the side wall when it was braking to avoid rear-ending other vehicles,” said Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Carrick Cook, adding that the fully-loaded truck weighing 80,000 pounds jackknifed and spilled many tons of rotten watermelon on the roadway.
No injuries have been reported, but debris was spread across the westbound side
of the tunnel.
The freeway was closed at the mini-stack and split near Sky Harbor Airport.
The on-ramps to I-10 at Seventh Street and 16th Street were reportedly closed as a result of the spill.
The inside wall of the tunnel was damaged.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said long delays were expected and drivers should consider using Interstate 17 as a detour.
Several lanes were reopened about 4:45 p.m. The two right lanes remained closed while ADOT inspected the tunnel wall.
Cook said the cleaning process would take an extensive time because of the mess on the road.
The watermelon was destined for a farm to be feed for animals.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets