PHOENIX — A few lanes were reopened Thursday afternoon after a large fruit spill closed westbound Interstate 10 inside the Deck Park Tunnel.
“A watermelon truck actually crashed into the side wall when it was braking to avoid rear-ending other vehicles,” said Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Carrick Cook, adding that the fully-loaded truck weighing 80,000 pounds jackknifed and spilled many tons of rotten watermelon on the roadway.
No injuries have been reported, but debris was spread across the westbound side
of the tunnel.
The freeway was closed at the mini-stack and split near Sky Harbor Airport.
The on-ramps to I-10 at Seventh Street and 16th Street were reportedly closed as a result of the spill.
The inside wall of the tunnel was damaged.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said long delays were expected and drivers should consider using Interstate 17 as a detour.
Several lanes were reopened about 4:45 p.m. The two right lanes remained closed while ADOT inspected the tunnel wall.
Cook said the cleaning process would take an extensive time because of the mess on the road.
The watermelon was destined for a farm to be feed for animals.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes