PHOENIX — A Valley family of five escaped a house fire Thursday that began with what fire officials believed was a lighting strike.
Rosie Romero with KTAR’s Rosie on the House said there’s little that can be done to protect a home from lightning beyond having a lightning-rod system in place. That will carry the charge from the high points on the house deep into the ground.
Romero said power surges are a threat to just about everything electrical in a home. Power goes out during heavy storms, but it’s when the power comes back up that computers, home entertainment systems, freezers and so on are vulnerable.
Don’t count on household surge protectors purchased at the store. They cannot protect against a real surge. That kind of protection comes at the hands of a professional.
“An electrician needs to get inside of your electric panel and put a restrictor in. So even before the power gets into your home, it’s captured and sent straight into the ground,” Romero said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night