PHOENIX — A Valley family of five escaped a house fire Thursday that began with what fire officials believed was a lighting strike.
Rosie Romero with KTAR’s Rosie on the House said there’s little that can be done to protect a home from lightning beyond having a lightning-rod system in place. That will carry the charge from the high points on the house deep into the ground.
Romero said power surges are a threat to just about everything electrical in a home. Power goes out during heavy storms, but it’s when the power comes back up that computers, home entertainment systems, freezers and so on are vulnerable.
Don’t count on household surge protectors purchased at the store. They cannot protect against a real surge. That kind of protection comes at the hands of a professional.
“An electrician needs to get inside of your electric panel and put a restrictor in. So even before the power gets into your home, it’s captured and sent straight into the ground,” Romero said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development