PHOENIX — Police shot and killed a man who had been suspected of threatening a couple with a gun early Thursday morning.
Neither officer was harmed. The suspect has been identified as 27-year-old Louis Alberto Flores.
Officers were called after midnight to an apartment near 29th Avenue and Camelback Road, where a man told officers that a man with a gun and a woman came to his door, demanding to know the whereabouts of someone else. He told the man he didn’t know the person in question and the intruders left shortly thereafter.
Officers found Flores not far from the scene and chased him from there. He tried to make his way to a condominium near 27th Avenue and West Pierson Street, according to police spokesman Trent Crump.
Officers said Flores lifted his shirt, pulled a handgun out of his waistband and pointed it at them. The officers fired several times at Flores, mortally wounding him.
He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Police questioned the occupants of a nearby condo, where neighbors said they’d seen men with rifles enter. About a dozen people in that unit were questioned.
Police are looking for the woman who was with Flores.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night