PHOENIX — Police shot and killed a man who had been suspected of threatening a couple with a gun early Thursday morning.
Neither officer was harmed. The suspect has been identified as 27-year-old Louis Alberto Flores.
Officers were called after midnight to an apartment near 29th Avenue and Camelback Road, where a man told officers that a man with a gun and a woman came to his door, demanding to know the whereabouts of someone else. He told the man he didn’t know the person in question and the intruders left shortly thereafter.
Officers found Flores not far from the scene and chased him from there. He tried to make his way to a condominium near 27th Avenue and West Pierson Street, according to police spokesman Trent Crump.
Officers said Flores lifted his shirt, pulled a handgun out of his waistband and pointed it at them. The officers fired several times at Flores, mortally wounding him.
He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Police questioned the occupants of a nearby condo, where neighbors said they’d seen men with rifles enter. About a dozen people in that unit were questioned.
Police are looking for the woman who was with Flores.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.