PHOENIX — The Phoenix Police Department added 11 new police officers to the force at swearing-in ceremony Wednesday at Phoenix City Hall.
The men aren’t new to the department. They were reservists who, collectively, have been serving in the department for several years.
“All together these officers have donated 30,000 hours of police service to the citizens of Phoenix,” said Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia. “So when we started looking for the 11 we were going to hire, we felt a strong obligation to reward them for the commitment to the citizens of Phoenix.”
The new hires represent better times economically, according to city leaders. The Phoenix Police Department has not grown the number of officers since the 2008-2009 fiscal year because of a hiring freeze implemented during the recession.
“Thanks to sacrifices and concessions made by employees, hard work on innovation and efficiency savings and sound budget decisions, we are hiring a new class of officers just one week into the fiscal year,” said Phoenix mayor Greg Stanton.
City leaders said they have applied for a grant which could allow for the hiring of an additional 25 officers in the near future.
The names of the new officers are: Sebastian Louisoder, Scott Stout, Nelu Podea, Sean Holman, Jesse Jansma, Alexander Lindly, Henry Smith, Richard Sias, Joseph Brown, Dustin Yoshimura and Louis McAnany.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon