PHOENIX — The Phoenix Police Department added 11 new police officers to the force at swearing-in ceremony Wednesday at Phoenix City Hall.
The men aren’t new to the department. They were reservists who, collectively, have been serving in the department for several years.
“All together these officers have donated 30,000 hours of police service to the citizens of Phoenix,” said Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia. “So when we started looking for the 11 we were going to hire, we felt a strong obligation to reward them for the commitment to the citizens of Phoenix.”
The new hires represent better times economically, according to city leaders. The Phoenix Police Department has not grown the number of officers since the 2008-2009 fiscal year because of a hiring freeze implemented during the recession.
“Thanks to sacrifices and concessions made by employees, hard work on innovation and efficiency savings and sound budget decisions, we are hiring a new class of officers just one week into the fiscal year,” said Phoenix mayor Greg Stanton.
City leaders said they have applied for a grant which could allow for the hiring of an additional 25 officers in the near future.
The names of the new officers are: Sebastian Louisoder, Scott Stout, Nelu Podea, Sean Holman, Jesse Jansma, Alexander Lindly, Henry Smith, Richard Sias, Joseph Brown, Dustin Yoshimura and Louis McAnany.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns