PHOENIX — The first dust storm of the summer rolled into the southeast part of the Valley on Friday afternoon.
The storm reached Phoenix around 2 p.m.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said gusts could hit speeds of 45 mph. A thunderstorm warning was in place for Pinal and Maricopa counties until 3 p.m.
Visibility could drop to as low as one-quarter of a mile.
The large dust storm is the first of the year to hit a major portion of the Valley. The massive clouds are normally associated with outflow winds from large monsoon storms.
Up to 1,000 SRP customers in the areas of Mesa and Queen Creek were without power because of the storm.
The monsoon season in Arizona began June 15 and runs through Sept. 30.
The Arizona Department of Transportation says motorists should avoid driving into dust storms in the first place by planning ahead and being prepared to change travel plans.
The driver-safety campaign advises motorists who find themselves in a dust storm to pull off the highway and park in a safe place off the pavement.
Other recommendations include turning off all lights, keeping your foot off the brake and staying in the vehicle while waiting for the storm to pass.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier