PHOENIX — A second case of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome was confirmed on Wednesday, Coconino County Public Health Service officials said in a release.
CCPHSD confirmed that a woman living in a southwestern part of the county was hospitalized due to the illness but is now recovering. Officials are investigating how the woman could have contracted the disease, which is transmitted when a person comes into contact with or breathes the infected droppings of wild mice.
“The fact that there have been two separate cases from differing parts of the county shows that the virus can occur anywhere,” said CCPHSD Interim Chief Health Officer Kimbal Babcock.
Areas with rodent activity, even if rodents are not seen, are most commonly infected. Deer mice are considered to be the primary source of the virus.
Symptoms do not appear until weeks, even months after an individual has come in contact with the infected droppings.
These are the first reported cases of the disease in the county since 2007.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development