PHOENIX — A second case of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome was confirmed on Wednesday, Coconino County Public Health Service officials said in a release.
CCPHSD confirmed that a woman living in a southwestern part of the county was hospitalized due to the illness but is now recovering. Officials are investigating how the woman could have contracted the disease, which is transmitted when a person comes into contact with or breathes the infected droppings of wild mice.
“The fact that there have been two separate cases from differing parts of the county shows that the virus can occur anywhere,” said CCPHSD Interim Chief Health Officer Kimbal Babcock.
Areas with rodent activity, even if rodents are not seen, are most commonly infected. Deer mice are considered to be the primary source of the virus.
Symptoms do not appear until weeks, even months after an individual has come in contact with the infected droppings.
These are the first reported cases of the disease in the county since 2007.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America