The Arizona Spring Training Experience, an exhibit operated by the Mesa Historical Museum that is often also known as the Cactus League experience, will remain without a home until at least 2014.
The museum project was yanked from the $130 million bond election, which was recently approved by the Mesa council, as noted in a report by the East Valley Tribune.
Instead, the ballot will include several projects to improve the city’s infrastructure and public safety.
More than $79 million of the funds will be allocated toward street upgrades in downtown Mesa, including the creation of bicycle lanes on Mesa Drive, stretching from Main Street to 8th Avenue. Such lanes are also set to be added near the Fiesta Mall and Gateway airport.
For the public safety portion of the bonds, nearly $52 million was earmarked for the purchase of a helicopter for the Mesa Police Department ($3.1 million) and a new communications center for the city’s fire department, costing an estimated $16 million. Other spending items weren’t listed in the Tribune report.
The choice to put the bond package on Mesa’s November ballot was approved by a 6-0 council vote.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets