The Arizona Spring Training Experience, an exhibit operated by the Mesa Historical Museum that is often also known as the Cactus League experience, will remain without a home until at least 2014.
The museum project was yanked from the $130 million bond election, which was recently approved by the Mesa council, as noted in a report by the East Valley Tribune.
Instead, the ballot will include several projects to improve the city’s infrastructure and public safety.
More than $79 million of the funds will be allocated toward street upgrades in downtown Mesa, including the creation of bicycle lanes on Mesa Drive, stretching from Main Street to 8th Avenue. Such lanes are also set to be added near the Fiesta Mall and Gateway airport.
For the public safety portion of the bonds, nearly $52 million was earmarked for the purchase of a helicopter for the Mesa Police Department ($3.1 million) and a new communications center for the city’s fire department, costing an estimated $16 million. Other spending items weren’t listed in the Tribune report.
The choice to put the bond package on Mesa’s November ballot was approved by a 6-0 council vote.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns