PHOENIX – Ariz. Gov. Jan Brewer attended the “Our Fallen Brothers” memorial service Tuesday for the 19 hotshot firefighters who lost their lives in the Yarnell Hill Fire tragedy.
After the memorial, Brewer spoke with News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos and shared her impressions on the service.
“Well it was not hard, it gave you pause, because we seem to take our first responders so much for granted and then when you see what has happened out there in the Yarnell Fire and have 19 young men, fathers, and sons and husbands give their lives to protect us, it gives you great pause and makes you very cognizant of what all of these people do for us every day.”
As one of the most touching speeches of the service, Brewer mentioned that it was actually very hard to come up with the right words.
“It’s very, very tough to come up with the words and you know you’ll never come up with the right words.”
Brewer had many difficult tasks during the Yarnell Hill Fire ordeal, but the worst was contacting family members.
“One of the hardest things I had to do was making phone calls to the wives and the mothers and the dads… I thought I wouldn’t get through it.”
Mac asked if there were any plans of legislation or another type of memorial service for the families, to which Brewer responded that right now what the Yarnell Hill Fire families need is support from the community.
“There’s a lot of discussion going on. These people are in great need of financial help and there are a lot of different types of programs.”
Brewer also said that the families were very appreciative of the support and kindness from the Arizona community.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona