PHOENIX – Sen. John McCain attended a memorial service Tuesday honoring the 19 fallen heroes who perished in the Yarnell Hill Fire tragedy.
After attending, McCain joined News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos and shared his feelings over the memorial service that took place in Tim’s Toyota Center in Prescott Valley, Ariz.
“I’m deeply moved…the vice president made an excellent statement of sympathy. Everything was very moving and very appropriate.”
He praised the fallen heroes and said they were brave people.
“Only thing we can say is, ‘we’re proud of them’ and…it’s our belief, certainly mine, that we’ll see them again, and they’re genuine heroes.”
McCain said that not only the state, but the whole country came together on Tuesday to grieve the hotshot firefighters.
“The whole state has come together, and not only the whole state, but we had firefighters who are here paying their respects from all over the country. It’s a remarkable expression of sympathy and support.”
Commenting on Brendan McDonough, the sole surviving hotshot, McCain pointed out that his comrades would have wanted him to be brave despite the pain of loss.
“He grieves enormously, but again he knows that his comrades would want him to be brave and celebrate their lives.”
Gaydos then asked him what, if anything, will stick with him after the ceremony. McCain said that no other country celebrates its heroes like America does, and that pride in being an American was something that stuck with him.
“That thing that sticks in your mind is how proud you are to be an American.”
McCain also mentioned that he would be introducing legislation that would seek to work on long-term forest thinning that could potentially help firefighters during a fire.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident