PHOENIX – Sen. John McCain attended a memorial service Tuesday honoring the 19 fallen heroes who perished in the Yarnell Hill Fire tragedy.
After attending, McCain joined News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos and shared his feelings over the memorial service that took place in Tim’s Toyota Center in Prescott Valley, Ariz.
“I’m deeply moved…the vice president made an excellent statement of sympathy. Everything was very moving and very appropriate.”
He praised the fallen heroes and said they were brave people.
“Only thing we can say is, ‘we’re proud of them’ and…it’s our belief, certainly mine, that we’ll see them again, and they’re genuine heroes.”
McCain said that not only the state, but the whole country came together on Tuesday to grieve the hotshot firefighters.
“The whole state has come together, and not only the whole state, but we had firefighters who are here paying their respects from all over the country. It’s a remarkable expression of sympathy and support.”
Commenting on Brendan McDonough, the sole surviving hotshot, McCain pointed out that his comrades would have wanted him to be brave despite the pain of loss.
“He grieves enormously, but again he knows that his comrades would want him to be brave and celebrate their lives.”
Gaydos then asked him what, if anything, will stick with him after the ceremony. McCain said that no other country celebrates its heroes like America does, and that pride in being an American was something that stuck with him.
“That thing that sticks in your mind is how proud you are to be an American.”
McCain also mentioned that he would be introducing legislation that would seek to work on long-term forest thinning that could potentially help firefighters during a fire.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident