PHOENIX – Amy and Samy Bouzaglo, owners of the infamous Amy’s Baking Company restaurant responded to their critics and the rest of the world after the company’s contract got leaked online less than two weeks ago.
In an exclusive interview with The Daily Mail, the couple talks about everything from appearing on Gordon Ramsay’s “Kitchen Nightmares” to a potential deportation of Amy’s husband to Israel for drug trafficking charges.
The Arizona-based couple admitted they made it big after appearing on “Kitchen Nightmares” and having Ramsay walk out on them, something he had never done before on the show.
Blamed for stealing their servers’ tips, having low-quality food and for selecting customers was more than enough to create a social-media outcry that generated death threats and had them fearing for their lives.
The couple have been forced to call the police and make reports to the FBI, adding: ‘Over the past couple of months, we’ve gone from being completely unknown to having people call us at 3am saying they’re going to break into our house with a rifle, rape me and kill my husband.
But matters got worse for the French-Italian bistro located in Scottsdale after a “mutually-binding” contract got leaked online, which stated among other things that employees could not work within a 50-mile radius of a competitor, and that their tips belonged to the owners.
‘Since the show, we recognise the outcry and now we’re giving the servers their tips. It would still work out in their favour to be be paid hourly, but now they’re guaranteed to make a minimum of $7.80 an hour and we make sure they go home with more than that, 100 per cent.’
Eventually after numerous Yelp! reviews came to light, Redditors got a few responses back via the company’s Facebook page with status updates that said the cakes could be bought at Wal-Mart and that Amy Bouzalgo was Wonderwoman.
The couple says they did not post those messages.
Amy alleges they discovered a middle-school student had hacked their Facebook account – but claims that Facebook chiefs have not got in touch with them despite making complaints to the social network.
As if that wasn’t enough, Samy Bouzalgo is now facing deportation after alleged drug trafficking charges sent him to prison in both Germany and France for 15 years.
‘We’ve had attorneys review his case and if the case was in America he would never have been arrested – he was a victim of circumstances and surrounded by the wrong people.
The media exposure has not only attracted hate and anger over the company, according to Amy. She says tourists visiting the state are flocking to the restaurant to take pictures with them, and the couple have apparently found a new way to make revenue.
We’re printing T-shirts that say ‘I survived Amy’s Baking Company’, ‘Here’s your pizza, go f**k yourself”, ‘I’m the Gangster, and’ I speak Feline, MEOW!!’ We’re making cherry lemonade out of lemons. Never in my life would I have thought the show would launch us into this kind of stratosphere.
Amy’s Baking Company has recently been in talks with several networks to launch their own reality TV show. Details of what the show will be about remain unknown.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food