PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Transportation has narrowed it down to three possible choices for creating passenger rail lines between Phoenix and Tuscon.
The three possible alternatives are known as Green, Orange and Yellow. ADOT has already begun moving forward with the Green Alternative which would run along Interstate 10.
The Orange and Yellow alternatives would serve the East Valley but would run through different sections of the Valley.
“It’s important to plan for multimodal travel options as we look ahead to the future of Arizona’s transportation infrastructure and as our state’s population continues to grow,” said ADOT director John Halikowski in a press release. “A passenger rail line will not only connect communities, but also economies. It’s not only a plan, it’s an investment in Arizona’s future.”
The decision to make these routes have not only come from technical evaluations but public input as well. Almost 7,000 people across Arizona have taken surveys to better identify which routs would best serve each community.
In the fall, ADOT will provide Maricopa, Pinal and Pima county citizens with more information on the progress of their studies. ADOT is hoping to find one public-preferred route.
ADOT will host a 45-day public comment period in early 2014 and three public hearings that will allow the public to give input.
Currently there is not a construction plan, it will be up to the public and policy makers to decide whether the project will move forward.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them