PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Transportation has narrowed it down to three possible choices for creating passenger rail lines between Phoenix and Tuscon.
The three possible alternatives are known as Green, Orange and Yellow. ADOT has already begun moving forward with the Green Alternative which would run along Interstate 10.
The Orange and Yellow alternatives would serve the East Valley but would run through different sections of the Valley.
“It’s important to plan for multimodal travel options as we look ahead to the future of Arizona’s transportation infrastructure and as our state’s population continues to grow,” said ADOT director John Halikowski in a press release. “A passenger rail line will not only connect communities, but also economies. It’s not only a plan, it’s an investment in Arizona’s future.”
The decision to make these routes have not only come from technical evaluations but public input as well. Almost 7,000 people across Arizona have taken surveys to better identify which routs would best serve each community.
In the fall, ADOT will provide Maricopa, Pinal and Pima county citizens with more information on the progress of their studies. ADOT is hoping to find one public-preferred route.
ADOT will host a 45-day public comment period in early 2014 and three public hearings that will allow the public to give input.
Currently there is not a construction plan, it will be up to the public and policy makers to decide whether the project will move forward.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas