PHOENIX — Officials announced Tuesday that three cases of West Nile Virus have been confirmed in Arizona so far this year.
All three of the cases had West Nile encephalitis, the most severe form of the virus. All three cases are expected to make full recoveries.
As monsoon season begins, officials expect more cases of West Nile to be reported.
Symptoms of the disease may appear three to 15 days after being bitten by an infected mosquito. Symptoms may include fever, headache, body aches, nausea, vomiting and skin rash. Severe cases can result in meningitis, encephalitis, paralysis and even death.
Health officials recommend using insect repellant, wearing long clothes, mosquito proofing your home and limiting night time activity to avoid contracting the disease.
For more information on West Nile Virus call (602) 509-0700 or visit maricopa.gov/wnv.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development