PHOENIX — Officials announced Tuesday that three cases of West Nile Virus have been confirmed in Arizona so far this year.
All three of the cases had West Nile encephalitis, the most severe form of the virus. All three cases are expected to make full recoveries.
As monsoon season begins, officials expect more cases of West Nile to be reported.
Symptoms of the disease may appear three to 15 days after being bitten by an infected mosquito. Symptoms may include fever, headache, body aches, nausea, vomiting and skin rash. Severe cases can result in meningitis, encephalitis, paralysis and even death.
Health officials recommend using insect repellant, wearing long clothes, mosquito proofing your home and limiting night time activity to avoid contracting the disease.
For more information on West Nile Virus call (602) 509-0700 or visit maricopa.gov/wnv.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.