PHOENIX — Officials announced Tuesday that three cases of West Nile Virus have been confirmed in Arizona so far this year.
All three of the cases had West Nile encephalitis, the most severe form of the virus. All three cases are expected to make full recoveries.
As monsoon season begins, officials expect more cases of West Nile to be reported.
Symptoms of the disease may appear three to 15 days after being bitten by an infected mosquito. Symptoms may include fever, headache, body aches, nausea, vomiting and skin rash. Severe cases can result in meningitis, encephalitis, paralysis and even death.
Health officials recommend using insect repellant, wearing long clothes, mosquito proofing your home and limiting night time activity to avoid contracting the disease.
For more information on West Nile Virus call (602) 509-0700 or visit maricopa.gov/wnv.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food