PHOENIX — A firefighter who was serving as a lookout when 19 members of his hotshot crew perished in a fire read a special prayer at a memorial service on Tuesday.
Brendan McDonough was over a mile away from his crew when they were overtaken by the Yarnell Hill Wildfire. None of them survived.
Dressed in green pants and a black shirt, McDonough was greeted by a standing ovation and received hugs from all officials on the dais, including Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer and Vice President Joe Biden.
After reading the Hotshot Prayer, McDonough said he misses his brothers and thanked the community for all the assistance and support they have offered him and his family. He then left the stage.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development