PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer spoke at a memorial service Tuesday for 19 firefighters who were killed battling the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
“We come together to honor and mourn 19 brave men,” she said. “They were 19 heroes gone at the turn of the wind.”
Brewer said, despite the tragic loss of the 19 hotshots, that Arizona was lucky to have been the place the men and their families called home.
“How wonderful it is to know that Arizona was home to 19 men like those we honor today,” she said, adding that all of the firefighters were Arizonans, including those born in other states.
Brewer said that she was filled with hope because of the way the community and state has come together through prayers, vigils, donations, flowers and notes, along with numerous memorials.
“This is the Arizona I know,” she said.
Brewer also thanked both the people of the United States and the federal government, including President Barack Obama, whom she said offered kind words and any assistance the state needed.”
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise