PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer spoke at a memorial service Tuesday for 19 firefighters who were killed battling the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
“We come together to honor and mourn 19 brave men,” she said. “They were 19 heroes gone at the turn of the wind.”
Brewer said, despite the tragic loss of the 19 hotshots, that Arizona was lucky to have been the place the men and their families called home.
“How wonderful it is to know that Arizona was home to 19 men like those we honor today,” she said, adding that all of the firefighters were Arizonans, including those born in other states.
Brewer said that she was filled with hope because of the way the community and state has come together through prayers, vigils, donations, flowers and notes, along with numerous memorials.
“This is the Arizona I know,” she said.
Brewer also thanked both the people of the United States and the federal government, including President Barack Obama, whom she said offered kind words and any assistance the state needed.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon