PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer spoke at a memorial service Tuesday for 19 firefighters who were killed battling the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
“We come together to honor and mourn 19 brave men,” she said. “They were 19 heroes gone at the turn of the wind.”
Brewer said, despite the tragic loss of the 19 hotshots, that Arizona was lucky to have been the place the men and their families called home.
“How wonderful it is to know that Arizona was home to 19 men like those we honor today,” she said, adding that all of the firefighters were Arizonans, including those born in other states.
Brewer said that she was filled with hope because of the way the community and state has come together through prayers, vigils, donations, flowers and notes, along with numerous memorials.
“This is the Arizona I know,” she said.
Brewer also thanked both the people of the United States and the federal government, including President Barack Obama, whom she said offered kind words and any assistance the state needed.”
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain