PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer spoke at a memorial service Tuesday for 19 firefighters who were killed battling the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
“We come together to honor and mourn 19 brave men,” she said. “They were 19 heroes gone at the turn of the wind.”
Brewer said, despite the tragic loss of the 19 hotshots, that Arizona was lucky to have been the place the men and their families called home.
“How wonderful it is to know that Arizona was home to 19 men like those we honor today,” she said, adding that all of the firefighters were Arizonans, including those born in other states.
Brewer said that she was filled with hope because of the way the community and state has come together through prayers, vigils, donations, flowers and notes, along with numerous memorials.
“This is the Arizona I know,” she said.
Brewer also thanked both the people of the United States and the federal government, including President Barack Obama, whom she said offered kind words and any assistance the state needed.”
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains