PHOENIX — Vice President Joe Biden spoke at a memorial service on Tuesday for the 19 firefighters who were killed while battling the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
“They were heroes…long before we knew their names,” Biden said.
During the emotional speech, Biden told the story of how firefighters saved his life and the lives of his sons when the family was involved in a car crash in 2008. Biden’s wife and daughter were killed.
Biden went on to say that firefighters are a special breed of person that redefine what words such as valor, bravery and courage.
“All men are created equal but then a few became firefighters. Thank God for you all,” he said.
Biden said the families of the fallen firefighters should also be honored, as they made sacrifices everyday that often go unappreciated or unnoticed.
“Every time they walked out the door, you knew it may be the last time you’d see that confident smile, feel that tender touch, hear that voice saying ‘I love you,'” he said. “From the time they breached the door, you lived in fear of dreaded phone call.”
Throughout the speech, Biden emphasized that the hotshots were “elite in every sense of the phrase,” and that anyone could “just look in their eyes to understand the courage of valor.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick