PHOENIX — Vice President Joe Biden spoke at a memorial service on Tuesday for the 19 firefighters who were killed while battling the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
“They were heroes…long before we knew their names,” Biden said.
During the emotional speech, Biden told the story of how firefighters saved his life and the lives of his sons when the family was involved in a car crash in 2008. Biden’s wife and daughter were killed.
Biden went on to say that firefighters are a special breed of person that redefine what words such as valor, bravery and courage.
“All men are created equal but then a few became firefighters. Thank God for you all,” he said.
Biden said the families of the fallen firefighters should also be honored, as they made sacrifices everyday that often go unappreciated or unnoticed.
“Every time they walked out the door, you knew it may be the last time you’d see that confident smile, feel that tender touch, hear that voice saying ‘I love you,'” he said. “From the time they breached the door, you lived in fear of dreaded phone call.”
Throughout the speech, Biden emphasized that the hotshots were “elite in every sense of the phrase,” and that anyone could “just look in their eyes to understand the courage of valor.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development