PHOENIX — Vice President Joe Biden spoke at a memorial service on Tuesday for the 19 firefighters who were killed while battling the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
“They were heroes…long before we knew their names,” Biden said.
During the emotional speech, Biden told the story of how firefighters saved his life and the lives of his sons when the family was involved in a car crash in 2008. Biden’s wife and daughter were killed.
Biden went on to say that firefighters are a special breed of person that redefine what words such as valor, bravery and courage.
“All men are created equal but then a few became firefighters. Thank God for you all,” he said.
Biden said the families of the fallen firefighters should also be honored, as they made sacrifices everyday that often go unappreciated or unnoticed.
“Every time they walked out the door, you knew it may be the last time you’d see that confident smile, feel that tender touch, hear that voice saying ‘I love you,'” he said. “From the time they breached the door, you lived in fear of dreaded phone call.”
Throughout the speech, Biden emphasized that the hotshots were “elite in every sense of the phrase,” and that anyone could “just look in their eyes to understand the courage of valor.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night