PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer made a formal request Tuesday for President Barack Obama to declare an emergency situation for the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
The fire destroyed 109 homes — about 20 percent of the homes in the town — damaged 23 more and claimed the lives of 19 members of the elite Granite Mountain Hotshots crew.
“The Yarnell Hill Fire has taken so much from the people of Yavapai County and the State of Arizona,” said Brewer in a press release. “We can never bring back the lives lost to this devastating fire, but a federal Major Disaster Declaration is one way we can help the citizens of Yarnell and Peeples Valley begin to pick up the pieces and put their communities back together.”
The request for the declaration of emergency cites numerous reasons for aid, including a lack of temporary housing, the risk of food-borne illness because of power outages and a lack of water, among other things.
Brewer also requested a declaration of disaster from the U.S. Small Business Administration, which would allow those whose homes were impacted by the fire to apply for a loan up to $200,000 to repair or replace their home.
Brewer declared a state emergency on July 1.
The 19 firefighters who were killed were honored at a memorial service on Tuesday.
Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake sent a letter urging Obama to swiftly approve
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.