PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer made a formal request Tuesday for President Barack Obama to declare an emergency situation for the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
The fire destroyed 109 homes — about 20 percent of the homes in the town — damaged 23 more and claimed the lives of 19 members of the elite Granite Mountain Hotshots crew.
“The Yarnell Hill Fire has taken so much from the people of Yavapai County and the State of Arizona,” said Brewer in a press release. “We can never bring back the lives lost to this devastating fire, but a federal Major Disaster Declaration is one way we can help the citizens of Yarnell and Peeples Valley begin to pick up the pieces and put their communities back together.”
The request for the declaration of emergency cites numerous reasons for aid, including a lack of temporary housing, the risk of food-borne illness because of power outages and a lack of water, among other things.
Brewer also requested a declaration of disaster from the U.S. Small Business Administration, which would allow those whose homes were impacted by the fire to apply for a loan up to $200,000 to repair or replace their home.
Brewer declared a state emergency on July 1.
The 19 firefighters who were killed were honored at a memorial service on Tuesday.
Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake sent a letter urging Obama to swiftly approve
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees