Thousands of firefighters from around the nation are paying their final respects at a memorial for 19 members of an elite Arizona Hotshot crew killed in a wildfire June 30.
Vice President Joe Biden told a packed arena in Prescott Valley, Ariz., that, “All men are created equal but then a few became firefighters. Thank God for you all,” he said.
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer also addressed the crowd. “How wonderful it is to know that Arizona was home to 19 men like those we honor today,” she said.
The sole survivor of the 20-man crew is slated to recite what’s called “The Hot Shot’s Prayer.” Brendan McDonough was serving as a lookout and wasn’t in the immediate burn zone when the other firefighters died.
“I miss my brothers,” said a tearful McDonough before leaving the stage.
The 19 men from the Granite Mountain Hotshots were overrun by a wind-driven wildfire in Yarnell about 30 miles from the crew’s home base in Prescott. Their deaths were the largest loss of firefighters in the nation since Sept. 11, 2001.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain