Thousands of firefighters from around the nation are paying their final respects at a memorial for 19 members of an elite Arizona Hotshot crew killed in a wildfire June 30.
Vice President Joe Biden told a packed arena in Prescott Valley, Ariz., that, “All men are created equal but then a few became firefighters. Thank God for you all,” he said.
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer also addressed the crowd. “How wonderful it is to know that Arizona was home to 19 men like those we honor today,” she said.
The sole survivor of the 20-man crew is slated to recite what’s called “The Hot Shot’s Prayer.” Brendan McDonough was serving as a lookout and wasn’t in the immediate burn zone when the other firefighters died.
“I miss my brothers,” said a tearful McDonough before leaving the stage.
The 19 men from the Granite Mountain Hotshots were overrun by a wind-driven wildfire in Yarnell about 30 miles from the crew’s home base in Prescott. Their deaths were the largest loss of firefighters in the nation since Sept. 11, 2001.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America