This morning we can say goodbye, rest well and thank you, but be sure to say it 19 times.
Radio and television will bring you the services for the Granite Mountain Hotshots — the 19 young men who were trapped in a hellish tornado of fire and murderous heat last week outside of Yarnell.
My God, was it just last week?
These last few days we’ve gotten acquainted with them — their faces, the wives, their children, even the babies about to be born into a suddenly single-parent family.
What will your lasting memory be? The 19 white hearses making that final trip on a highway lined with mourners or perhaps the 19 flag-draped caskets? Do you know that photo has been the subject of considerable controversy? For the life of me, I don’t understand why. Is there a better shroud for young heroes than Old Glory?
If outrage is the only outlet you have for your grief, why not save it for the latest issue of the Phoenix New Times that chose to delve into the irrelevant personal history of Brendan McDonough, the lone survivor of the tragedy.
I personally choose to tear that tabloid into long pieces and use them to dry my tears.
I’m Pat McMahon.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier