This morning we can say goodbye, rest well and thank you, but be sure to say it 19 times.
Radio and television will bring you the services for the Granite Mountain Hotshots — the 19 young men who were trapped in a hellish tornado of fire and murderous heat last week outside of Yarnell.
My God, was it just last week?
These last few days we’ve gotten acquainted with them — their faces, the wives, their children, even the babies about to be born into a suddenly single-parent family.
What will your lasting memory be? The 19 white hearses making that final trip on a highway lined with mourners or perhaps the 19 flag-draped caskets? Do you know that photo has been the subject of considerable controversy? For the life of me, I don’t understand why. Is there a better shroud for young heroes than Old Glory?
If outrage is the only outlet you have for your grief, why not save it for the latest issue of the Phoenix New Times that chose to delve into the irrelevant personal history of Brendan McDonough, the lone survivor of the tragedy.
I personally choose to tear that tabloid into long pieces and use them to dry my tears.
I’m Pat McMahon.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again