PHOENIX — A fire burning about 70 miles southeast of Phoenix has charred over 500 acres and has destroyed one home so far.
The Shipman Fire has been burning for almost three days, but is now 47 percent contained as of Wednesday night.
Residents near Kearney were evacuated Monday after a wildfire moved close to their homes but about 100 of the 200 homes have been cleared for re-occupancy.
Twenty more homes were evacuated due to the size of the fire.
No injuries have been reported, but at least three structures have burned, with one home being destroyed.
According to Pinal County officials, the Shipman Fire may have been sparked near the San Pedro River.
Jonetta Trued of the Eastern Arizona Incident Management Team said they have a full line of resources battling the fire.
Trued also said she remains optimistic the fire won’t spread and that people could soon return to their homes.
The American Red Cross also said 25 people stayed Monday night in a shelter set up in an elementary school in Kearny.
Steve Henry, chief deputy with the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office, said the wildfire began burning through salt cedar trees along the river bed and sending embers floating into Kearney.
Arizona Department of Transportation officials closed five miles of State Route 177 near Kearny for a time but that was reopened at 11:30 p.m. on Monday.
Kearny is located east of Florence, Ariz., and south of Globe, Ariz.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets