PHOENIX — It’s not quite a doughnut and not quite a croissant.
At Karl’s Bakery in Phoenix they call it a kronut.
“It is fried,” said Christine Boerner. “They’re a little bit fluffier, a little bit taller, but they’re about the same size as a doughnut.”
After hearing about the buzz surrounding a New York chef’s cross between a croissant and doughnut, Boerner and her father, Karl, decided to give it a try.
“We make a doughnut dough and make it a little bit softer than usual,” she said. “And then we fold it in with butter like a croissant dough. You freeze it, you cut it up and then you fry it at a higher temperature.”
Boerner makes a lemon-basil kronut while her father prefers vanilla pudding. Each weekend she said they sell a couple hundred at $2.50 each.
“Generally when you bite into it everyone has the same expression on their face of joy and intrigue,” she said
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them