PHOENIX – A new report by the W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University says that the housing market has hit “normal and historical” levels after a troublesome foreclosure crisis.
The report says that median single-family home prices reached $185,000 in May, up 26 percent from last year.
The W. P. Carey school also reports that home and condo sales also went up, with an increase of about 7 percent between April and May of this year and that completed foreclosures on single-family homes and condos decreased 53 percent from last year.
“Foreclosure levels are now far below the peak levels of March 2009, and the number of pending foreclosures is below the level from the first quarter of 2002. We expect these numbers to continue to fall over the next several years due to the very tight underwriting standards in place,” said Mike Orr, director of the Center for Real Estate Theory and Practice at the W. P. Carey School of Business and author of the report.
Not everything is good news, though.
The report also reveals that investors are losing interest in the city of Phoenix, with total home and condo sales down almost 40 percent from July of last year to May of this year.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food