PHOENIX — Eight illegal immigrants suffering from heat-related illnesses were given emergency medical care after being smuggled in the back of a U-Haul truck.
The immigrants told officials that the truck, driven by a white male, picked up 14 to 20 illegal immigrants in Douglas, Ariz., and brought them to the Bowlins Travel Center near Interstate 10 and Picacho Peak.
The Pinal County Sheriff’s Office received a call from an individual that saw several of the immigrants staggering in and around the van in need of medical attention.
“This is another example of how an unsecured border facilitates the inhumane and often deadly consequences of those involved with drug and human smuggling,” Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu said in a press release. “Inside of the locked box of the U-Haul temperatures may have reached over 180 degrees.”
Two of the immigrants were in critical condition and were airlifted to a hospital and six were transported by ambulances to local hospitals. Eight subjects were found by the van and an additional five to six subjects were found walking east into the desert.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon