PHOENIX — Eight illegal immigrants suffering from heat-related illnesses were given emergency medical care after being smuggled in the back of a U-Haul truck.
The immigrants told officials that the truck, driven by a white male, picked up 14 to 20 illegal immigrants in Douglas, Ariz., and brought them to the Bowlins Travel Center near Interstate 10 and Picacho Peak.
The Pinal County Sheriff’s Office received a call from an individual that saw several of the immigrants staggering in and around the van in need of medical attention.
“This is another example of how an unsecured border facilitates the inhumane and often deadly consequences of those involved with drug and human smuggling,” Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu said in a press release. “Inside of the locked box of the U-Haul temperatures may have reached over 180 degrees.”
Two of the immigrants were in critical condition and were airlifted to a hospital and six were transported by ambulances to local hospitals. Eight subjects were found by the van and an additional five to six subjects were found walking east into the desert.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas