PHOENIX — Two separate petitions on the White House’s website are seeking to recognize the 19 firefighters who were killed battling a wildfire in Yarnell, Ariz.
The first petition requests that the firefighters be posthumously awarded the Presidential Citizen’s Medal, the second-highest recognition awarded to civilians. In addition to the 19 that were lost, the petition also calls for the award to be given to Brendan McDonough, the only member of the crew who survived.
The second petition calls for the fallen firefighters to be given the Public Safety Officer Medal.
The first petition still needed 98,938 signatures to reach the goal of 100,000 as of Monday. Should the goal be met, the White House must give an official response, per policy.
The second petition needed 97,919 signatures as of Monday.
The White House has been vocal following the deaths of the firefighters, with President Barack Obama saying he was “heartbroken” to hear of their deaths. Vice President Joe Biden is also scheduled to attend a Tuesday memorial service in Prescott, Ariz.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development