PHOENIX — Two separate petitions on the White House’s website are seeking to recognize the 19 firefighters who were killed battling a wildfire in Yarnell, Ariz.
The first petition requests that the firefighters be posthumously awarded the Presidential Citizen’s Medal, the second-highest recognition awarded to civilians. In addition to the 19 that were lost, the petition also calls for the award to be given to Brendan McDonough, the only member of the crew who survived.
The second petition calls for the fallen firefighters to be given the Public Safety Officer Medal.
The first petition still needed 98,938 signatures to reach the goal of 100,000 as of Monday. Should the goal be met, the White House must give an official response, per policy.
The second petition needed 97,919 signatures as of Monday.
The White House has been vocal following the deaths of the firefighters, with President Barack Obama saying he was “heartbroken” to hear of their deaths. Vice President Joe Biden is also scheduled to attend a Tuesday memorial service in Prescott, Ariz.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier