PHOENIX — Two separate petitions on the White House’s website are seeking to recognize the 19 firefighters who were killed battling a wildfire in Yarnell, Ariz.
The first petition requests that the firefighters be posthumously awarded the Presidential Citizen’s Medal, the second-highest recognition awarded to civilians. In addition to the 19 that were lost, the petition also calls for the award to be given to Brendan McDonough, the only member of the crew who survived.
The second petition calls for the fallen firefighters to be given the Public Safety Officer Medal.
The first petition still needed 98,938 signatures to reach the goal of 100,000 as of Monday. Should the goal be met, the White House must give an official response, per policy.
The second petition needed 97,919 signatures as of Monday.
The White House has been vocal following the deaths of the firefighters, with President Barack Obama saying he was “heartbroken” to hear of their deaths. Vice President Joe Biden is also scheduled to attend a Tuesday memorial service in Prescott, Ariz.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick