The Arizona Humane Society is helping people and pets who were torn apart by the Yarnell Hill fire.
They’ve been running a makeshift shelter at Wickenburg High School, where evacuees have been reunited with their pets.
One of them was a 70-year-old man named Fred. The Humane Society didn’t give us his last name. He told them that he left his big dog, Kirkland, behind when he was evacuated because of the fire. He had been staying with relatives in Phoenix before making the trek to Wickenburg.
Humane Society Spokeswoman Bretta Nelson said they sent one of their lead vets to Fred’s house to check on the dog.
“They found her in the backyard,” Nelson said. “Fred actually had an amazing set up there. She could go in and out of the house. She also had tons of shade, tons of clean water and food.”
Nelson said they brought Kirkland to Wickenburg for an emotional reunion with Fred. Nelson fought back tears as she said, “Fred came to see her, and then he said to her, ‘Girl did you think I wasn’t coming back for you?’ It was such a heartwarming moment.”
After several moments of silence while he hugged and petted Kirkland, Fred sent everyone into laughter by saying to the dog, “Don’t you look at me with those eyes, I feel guilty enough as it is!”
Nelson said it’s great to know that Fred’s house is intact, and that he and Kirkland can now carry on with their lives.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets