PHOENIX — Officials from Maricopa County and the City of Peoria are investigating the circumstances of a drowning Friday afternoon.
A 15-year-old girl apparently drowned in Lake Pleasant while swimming with her two younger siblings, who almost drowned as well.
“They went into the water, they went under the water, and then according to witnesses they never came back up,” Amanda Jacinto with the Peoria Fire Department said.
Jacinto said some of those witnesses ran into the water to help the three children, one of whom was found almost five feet below the surface, and were able to pull the two younger ones from the water.
Witnesses searched for the third and oldest child, but were unsuccessful.
A short time later, members of an MCSO dive team recovered the body of the 15-year-old, who was discovered not far from where the three girls went under the water.
The two surviving girls were taken to a local hospital and are in stable condition.
Jacinto said this is yet another reminder about always watching children around water.
“No matter if the kids are in a group or not, we always have to be vigilant,” Jacinto said. “It’s a long weekend; everyone is out enjoying the outdoors right now, so we ask everybody to please pay attention to kids around water.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night