PHOENIX — Officials from Maricopa County and the City of Peoria are investigating the circumstances of a drowning Friday afternoon.
A 15-year-old girl apparently drowned in Lake Pleasant while swimming with her two younger siblings, who almost drowned as well.
“They went into the water, they went under the water, and then according to witnesses they never came back up,” Amanda Jacinto with the Peoria Fire Department said.
Jacinto said some of those witnesses ran into the water to help the three children, one of whom was found almost five feet below the surface, and were able to pull the two younger ones from the water.
Witnesses searched for the third and oldest child, but were unsuccessful.
A short time later, members of an MCSO dive team recovered the body of the 15-year-old, who was discovered not far from where the three girls went under the water.
The two surviving girls were taken to a local hospital and are in stable condition.
Jacinto said this is yet another reminder about always watching children around water.
“No matter if the kids are in a group or not, we always have to be vigilant,” Jacinto said. “It’s a long weekend; everyone is out enjoying the outdoors right now, so we ask everybody to please pay attention to kids around water.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development