PHOENIX — Officials from Maricopa County and the City of Peoria are investigating the circumstances of a drowning Friday afternoon.
A 15-year-old girl apparently drowned in Lake Pleasant while swimming with her two younger siblings, who almost drowned as well.
“They went into the water, they went under the water, and then according to witnesses they never came back up,” Amanda Jacinto with the Peoria Fire Department said.
Jacinto said some of those witnesses ran into the water to help the three children, one of whom was found almost five feet below the surface, and were able to pull the two younger ones from the water.
Witnesses searched for the third and oldest child, but were unsuccessful.
A short time later, members of an MCSO dive team recovered the body of the 15-year-old, who was discovered not far from where the three girls went under the water.
The two surviving girls were taken to a local hospital and are in stable condition.
Jacinto said this is yet another reminder about always watching children around water.
“No matter if the kids are in a group or not, we always have to be vigilant,” Jacinto said. “It’s a long weekend; everyone is out enjoying the outdoors right now, so we ask everybody to please pay attention to kids around water.”
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee