MESA, Ariz. — Two police helicopter pilots are being credited with helping a man safely land his small plane at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport on Wednesday night.
Darren Rigsby, a pilot with the Mesa Police Department’s air unit, said he and his partner walked the troubled pilot through the proper procedures to safely land his single-engine Cessna.
“We were able to render the assistance and put this gentleman’s mind a little bit more at ease so he could get that plane on the ground and walk away,” Rigsby said.
He said it was his first time responding to such a call and he credits his flight training for the safe landing.
“He put it down on the runway and did exactly what the procedures called for and he was able to walk away from it,” Rigsby said. “He just did a great job with the whole thing.”
The small aircraft appears to have had a problem with its landing gear while attempting to land at the airport.
“At this point it appears that one of the gears was not locked,” Public Information Officer Patrick Oakley said, “so when [the pilot] did make the landing, the gear probably collapsed and he skidded to a stop.”
Oakley said there were no injuries during the landing, and only the pilot was on board the plane.
He also said local FAA agents will look at why there was a problem with the gear.
KTAR’s Mark Remillard contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night