PHOENIX — A few Arizona members of Congress are pushing to make one of the state’s attractions a little larger.
Representatives Ann Kirkpatrick, Paul Gosar, Ed Pastor and Raul Grijalva are sponsoring a bill in Congress that would expand the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument near Coolidge.
If the bill passes, the monument would grow by 10 acres. “That’s not a lot of acreage, but it includes several key sites,” said Kirkpatrick.
Those sites include a prehistoric canal on the south side of the ruins, and a portion of an area called Adamsville. That’s a second large Hohokam Village that is located upstream from the Casa Grande ruins, and is on the National Register of Historic places.
Kirkpatrick says the ruins are a key part of Coolidge’s economy. “They estimate about 70-thousand visitors a year come to the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument,” she said. “This legislation would enhance the experience of the visitors, and strengthen the position of the National Monument as one of Arizona’s top treasures.”
The monument is considered one of the finest examples of 13th century Hohokam culture in the southwest.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets