PHOENIX — A few Arizona members of Congress are pushing to make one of the state’s attractions a little larger.
Representatives Ann Kirkpatrick, Paul Gosar, Ed Pastor and Raul Grijalva are sponsoring a bill in Congress that would expand the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument near Coolidge.
If the bill passes, the monument would grow by 10 acres. “That’s not a lot of acreage, but it includes several key sites,” said Kirkpatrick.
Those sites include a prehistoric canal on the south side of the ruins, and a portion of an area called Adamsville. That’s a second large Hohokam Village that is located upstream from the Casa Grande ruins, and is on the National Register of Historic places.
Kirkpatrick says the ruins are a key part of Coolidge’s economy. “They estimate about 70-thousand visitors a year come to the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument,” she said. “This legislation would enhance the experience of the visitors, and strengthen the position of the National Monument as one of Arizona’s top treasures.”
The monument is considered one of the finest examples of 13th century Hohokam culture in the southwest.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night