PHOENIX — A few Arizona members of Congress are pushing to make one of the state’s attractions a little larger.
Representatives Ann Kirkpatrick, Paul Gosar, Ed Pastor and Raul Grijalva are sponsoring a bill in Congress that would expand the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument near Coolidge.
If the bill passes, the monument would grow by 10 acres. “That’s not a lot of acreage, but it includes several key sites,” said Kirkpatrick.
Those sites include a prehistoric canal on the south side of the ruins, and a portion of an area called Adamsville. That’s a second large Hohokam Village that is located upstream from the Casa Grande ruins, and is on the National Register of Historic places.
Kirkpatrick says the ruins are a key part of Coolidge’s economy. “They estimate about 70-thousand visitors a year come to the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument,” she said. “This legislation would enhance the experience of the visitors, and strengthen the position of the National Monument as one of Arizona’s top treasures.”
The monument is considered one of the finest examples of 13th century Hohokam culture in the southwest.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development