PHOENIX – The Arizona Department of Transportation will stop all construction-related closures on Arizona highways during the Fourth of July weekend.
ADOT is also advising drivers to be patient, as heavy traffic will occur at the start and end of the weekend for the many celebrations in and around the Valley.
People taking on the road this Fourth of July are reminded to keep a watch on changing weather conditions and be prepared for hot temperatures and possibly dust storms.
Drivers who will be on the road over the holiday weekend or at other times this summer are urged to follow these safety tips:
• Check your vehicle, including tire pressure, engine
belts and hoses and fluid levels
• Get a good night’s rest before starting out on a trip
• Buckle up, including all passengers in your vehicle
• Stay patient, don’t speed and don’t tailgate
• Expect the unexpected, including closures due to crashes or events such as wildfires
• Pack extra drinking water and snack foods
• Never drink and drive
• Avoiding parking your vehicle on dry grass and driving through tall grass; hot vehicle parts can spark a brush fire
• Check road conditions in advance at az511.gov or by calling 5-1-1
Don’t have anything planned for the Fourth of July weekend yet? Head over to our Fourth of July map and check out all the events that are taking place this holiday weekend.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon