PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer ordered flags statewide to be flown at half-mast until July 19 to honor the 19 Prescott hotshots who were killed Sunday.
“In light of the devastating circumstances surrounding this tragedy, I have made the decision to extend the length of this tribute to a full 19 days – one for each firefighter lost to the Yarnell Fire,” she said in a release. “These 19 men made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of people and property. As members of the elite Granite Mountain Interagency Hotshot Crew, they knew well the risk inherent in their jobs, and accepted this burden with honor, selflessness and bravery. The word ‘hero’ is invoked a lot these days. These men embodied the term, and will forever be remembered as such.”
The hotshots were killed after the erratically-behaving Yarnell Hill Fire turned on them. They attempted to deploy survival blankets but that measure failed.
The fire has burned more than 8,400 acres and destroyed about 200 structures. The fire is 8 percent contained.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.