PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer ordered flags statewide to be flown at half-mast until July 19 to honor the 19 Prescott hotshots who were killed Sunday.
“In light of the devastating circumstances surrounding this tragedy, I have made the decision to extend the length of this tribute to a full 19 days – one for each firefighter lost to the Yarnell Fire,” she said in a release. “These 19 men made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of people and property. As members of the elite Granite Mountain Interagency Hotshot Crew, they knew well the risk inherent in their jobs, and accepted this burden with honor, selflessness and bravery. The word ‘hero’ is invoked a lot these days. These men embodied the term, and will forever be remembered as such.”
The hotshots were killed after the erratically-behaving Yarnell Hill Fire turned on them. They attempted to deploy survival blankets but that measure failed.
The fire has burned more than 8,400 acres and destroyed about 200 structures. The fire is 8 percent contained.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food