PHOENIX – Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett personally knew one of the 19 victims of the Yarnell Hill Fire tragedy.
Bennett spoke with News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos about 29-year-old Andrew Ashcraft, one of the firefighters who lost his life at the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
During the conversation with Mac & Gaydos, Bennett recalled how one of his daughters was an inseparable friend of Julianne Ashcraft, Andrew’s wife. He also said that his wife recently had contact with Andrew’s wife.
“They ended up in a conversation about how much concern Julianne had every time Andrew went out on one of these fires, but they wrapped it up with how every time he comes home; and then seven or eight hours later we get word that he didn’t come home from this one,” he said.
When asked how he found out about the death of Andrew, Bennett said that he was informed through text messages from his family.
“Last night I got a text from my sister and she was one of the ones that had been talking to Julianne earlier in the day at church and then closely after that my mom saying that Andrew, Julianne’s husband, was one of the 19 that had been killed.”
Bennett concluded that even though the tragedy is alive in the hearts of many people right now, the tragedy will make Prescott stronger.
“We will all rally around the families of the ones that lost loved ones and it will make us stronger somehow,” he said.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona