PHOENIX – Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett personally knew one of the 19 victims of the Yarnell Hill Fire tragedy.
Bennett spoke with News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos about 29-year-old Andrew Ashcraft, one of the firefighters who lost his life at the Yarnell Hill wildfire.
During the conversation with Mac & Gaydos, Bennett recalled how one of his daughters was an inseparable friend of Julianne Ashcraft, Andrew’s wife. He also said that his wife recently had contact with Andrew’s wife.
“They ended up in a conversation about how much concern Julianne had every time Andrew went out on one of these fires, but they wrapped it up with how every time he comes home; and then seven or eight hours later we get word that he didn’t come home from this one,” he said.
When asked how he found out about the death of Andrew, Bennett said that he was informed through text messages from his family.
“Last night I got a text from my sister and she was one of the ones that had been talking to Julianne earlier in the day at church and then closely after that my mom saying that Andrew, Julianne’s husband, was one of the 19 that had been killed.”
Bennett concluded that even though the tragedy is alive in the hearts of many people right now, the tragedy will make Prescott stronger.
“We will all rally around the families of the ones that lost loved ones and it will make us stronger somehow,” he said.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident