A Prescott firefighter said his department is “doing the best we can” after losing a hotshot crew to the Yarnell Hill Fire on Sunday.
Wade Ward told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Tuesday that his department was responding to multiple calls when they got the call that hotshots were hiding under shelters, a last-ditch effort to save their own lives.
“I knew all of them,” he said.
After he learned that 19 were killed, Wade said the department’s thoughts went immediately to caring for one another and the families of the men that were lost.
While the possibility of a dangerous situation is always present, Ward said the firefighters know they have a job to do.
“There’s lots of parts about our jobs that are not easy and there’s lots of parts about our jobs that are dangerous,” he said. “We accept those risks and mitigate them as much as possible.”
When asked to describe his emotions, Ward said he was “numb” and that the deaths of the hotshots was an “unbelievable tragedy.”
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident