A Prescott firefighter said his department is “doing the best we can” after losing a hotshot crew to the Yarnell Hill Fire on Sunday.
Wade Ward told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Tuesday that his department was responding to multiple calls when they got the call that hotshots were hiding under shelters, a last-ditch effort to save their own lives.
“I knew all of them,” he said.
After he learned that 19 were killed, Wade said the department’s thoughts went immediately to caring for one another and the families of the men that were lost.
While the possibility of a dangerous situation is always present, Ward said the firefighters know they have a job to do.
“There’s lots of parts about our jobs that are not easy and there’s lots of parts about our jobs that are dangerous,” he said. “We accept those risks and mitigate them as much as possible.”
When asked to describe his emotions, Ward said he was “numb” and that the deaths of the hotshots was an “unbelievable tragedy.”
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona