When it comes to fighting wildfires in Arizona few resources are more effective or more dedicated than hotshot crews.
Phoenix Fire Captain Wil Gartin told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Monday that hotshot crews are the first to arrive on the scene and the last to leave. They are specialists in what they do and many times they do the most with what they are given.
“These are young men who have given more of themselves than they expect to get in return and they want to give up themselves for their community and state,” said Gartin.
The conditions that these firefighters face change at the drop of a hat. The Yarnell Hill Fire was the perfect storm. The hotshot team was so close when the winds changed that they were forced to pull out their shelters. These shelters are used as a last resort to shield the firefighters from the scorching flames as weather conditions change unexpectedly.
“To think about what they went through in their final minutes is almost too much to ponder,” said Gartin.
The training to be part of a hotshot crew is indefinite. These firefighters are in top physical condition and must move their way up in crews after their basic training. But sometimes even the best training is not enough.
“I think every firefighter that puts on a uniform every morning…everybody knows going in that it could be their last day,” Gartin said.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck