PHOENIX — A large American flag was hung near the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office on Monday to honor the bodies of 19 firefighters who perished while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire near Prescott, Ariz.
The flag, measuring 20 feet by 30 feet, was suspended from the ladders of two fire trucks.
Forestry spokesman Art Morrison said the Prescott-based hotshot crew, who has not been identified, was caught by the fire near the central Arizona town about 85 miles northwest of Phoenix.
The bodies were recovered Monday and brought to the Valley in six white vans. Some closures were in place as a result of the procession.
“We have 19 young men that lost their lives yesterday afternoon,” said Prescott Mayor Marlin Kuykendall at a press conference. “We’re here to honor them but even as much we’re here to honor the families of those 19 individuals that have years of their lives left.”
The Yarnell Hill Fire has burned more than 8,300 acres and estimates said 200 homes were destroyed.
The fire was sparked on Friday by a lightning strike.
KTAR’s Christina Estes contributed to this report.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck