PHOENIX — A large American flag was hung near the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office on Monday to honor the bodies of 19 firefighters who perished while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire near Prescott, Ariz.
The flag, measuring 20 feet by 30 feet, was suspended from the ladders of two fire trucks.
Forestry spokesman Art Morrison said the Prescott-based hotshot crew, who has not been identified, was caught by the fire near the central Arizona town about 85 miles northwest of Phoenix.
The bodies were recovered Monday and brought to the Valley in six white vans. Some closures were in place as a result of the procession.
“We have 19 young men that lost their lives yesterday afternoon,” said Prescott Mayor Marlin Kuykendall at a press conference. “We’re here to honor them but even as much we’re here to honor the families of those 19 individuals that have years of their lives left.”
The Yarnell Hill Fire has burned more than 8,300 acres and estimates said 200 homes were destroyed.
The fire was sparked on Friday by a lightning strike.
KTAR’s Christina Estes contributed to this report.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them