PHOENIX — A large American flag was hung near the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office on Monday to honor the bodies of 19 firefighters who perished while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire near Prescott, Ariz.
The flag, measuring 20 feet by 30 feet, was suspended from the ladders of two fire trucks.
Forestry spokesman Art Morrison said the Prescott-based hotshot crew, who has not been identified, was caught by the fire near the central Arizona town about 85 miles northwest of Phoenix.
The bodies were recovered Monday and brought to the Valley in six white vans. Some closures were in place as a result of the procession.
“We have 19 young men that lost their lives yesterday afternoon,” said Prescott Mayor Marlin Kuykendall at a press conference. “We’re here to honor them but even as much we’re here to honor the families of those 19 individuals that have years of their lives left.”
The Yarnell Hill Fire has burned more than 8,300 acres and estimates said 200 homes were destroyed.
The fire was sparked on Friday by a lightning strike.
KTAR’s Christina Estes contributed to this report.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night