PHOENIX — Phoenix police officers will be wearing badge shrouds to honor the 19 firefighters who were killed fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire near Prescott, Ariz.
According to the department’s Facebook page, the shrouds were authorized Monday by Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia.
In the announcement, the department expressed remorse over the deaths of the 19 firefighters.
The Phoenix Police Department shares a special kinship with the fire department and we shroud our badges as a symbol of this connection.
The loss of so many firefighters in a single event is horrific and strikes at the heart of first responders everywhere. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families, friends, and co-workers of these fallen heroes.
Officials said Monday that the fire had burned over 8,300 acres and was still zero percent contained. Estimates said that about 200 homes were destroyed in Yarnell, Ariz.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon