PHOENIX — With air conditioning units kicking into high gear, Salt River Project is offering customers simple tips to save money this summer.
Kathleen Mascareñas said they realize it can be hard to know exactly what to do to save money. She is the spokeswoman for SRP.
“I would encourage people to take control of the energy consumption in their home,” she said. “The website is going to save you some money and a lot of hassle in the long run.”
Here are the five ways SRP says will help people lower their energy bills:
• Close drapes and draw blinds to keep out heat. Windows can account for nearly 50 percent of the heat that enters a home.
• Install shade screens to keep the home cool and comfortable and the AC from working as hard.
• Bump up the thermostat a bit. For every degree the thermostat is above 80 degrees, a customer can save up to 3 percent on cooling costs.
• Unplug small appliances in kitchen and unused electronics around the house. According to the Department of Energy, vampire electronics use up to 5 percent of the energy in an average home.
• Plant free shade trees. Once fully grown a shade tree can reduce cooling costs by up to $50 a year.
The utility company has also set up a website (savewithsrp.com) where people can receive rebates for things like window shades and energy-efficient pool pumps. Customers can also get a free shade tree.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them