PHOENIX — With air conditioning units kicking into high gear, Salt River Project is offering customers simple tips to save money this summer.
Kathleen Mascareñas said they realize it can be hard to know exactly what to do to save money. She is the spokeswoman for SRP.
“I would encourage people to take control of the energy consumption in their home,” she said. “The website is going to save you some money and a lot of hassle in the long run.”
Here are the five ways SRP says will help people lower their energy bills:
• Close drapes and draw blinds to keep out heat. Windows can account for nearly 50 percent of the heat that enters a home.
• Install shade screens to keep the home cool and comfortable and the AC from working as hard.
• Bump up the thermostat a bit. For every degree the thermostat is above 80 degrees, a customer can save up to 3 percent on cooling costs.
• Unplug small appliances in kitchen and unused electronics around the house. According to the Department of Energy, vampire electronics use up to 5 percent of the energy in an average home.
• Plant free shade trees. Once fully grown a shade tree can reduce cooling costs by up to $50 a year.
The utility company has also set up a website (savewithsrp.com) where people can receive rebates for things like window shades and energy-efficient pool pumps. Customers can also get a free shade tree.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier