PHOENIX — Arizona is being rocked by a heat wave that is calling for temperatures as high as 120 degrees.
The National Weather Service put together some facts that won’t exactly take your mind off the heat, but at least make you feel accomplished since we may break some records this weekend.
The record temperature for June 28 is 118 set in 1990. Phoenix came close to that record on Friday but it was not officially broken.
On Saturday, the temperature reached 119 degrees, breaking the old record of 117 set in 1994. It was also the fourth hottest day in history for the state of Arizona.
Sunday’s temperature was 115 degrees, tied for the record of 115 degrees set in 1979.
Monday it’s expected to cool down slightly and the forecasted temperature of 114 degrees will fall short of the record of 115 set in 1990.
The hottest temperature recorded in Phoenix was 122 on June 26, 1990. There is not a forecast calling for temperatures that high over the next 10 days.
2013 is the second-warmest June on record. The average temperature has been 94 degrees.
The last time Phoenix saw temperatures above 119 degrees was June 25, 1990.
The last time the Valley saw a streak of more than four days over 117 degrees was June 24, 1990 to June 28, 1990 — a streak that was not duplicated over the weekend.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night