PHOENIX — Arizona is being rocked by a heat wave that is calling for temperatures as high as 120 degrees.
The National Weather Service put together some facts that won’t exactly take your mind off the heat, but at least make you feel accomplished since we may break some records this weekend.
The record temperature for June 28 is 118 set in 1990. Phoenix came close to that record on Friday but it was not officially broken.
On Saturday, the temperature reached 119 degrees, breaking the old record of 117 set in 1994. It was also the fourth hottest day in history for the state of Arizona.
Sunday’s temperature was 115 degrees, tied for the record of 115 degrees set in 1979.
Monday it’s expected to cool down slightly and the forecasted temperature of 114 degrees will fall short of the record of 115 set in 1990.
The hottest temperature recorded in Phoenix was 122 on June 26, 1990. There is not a forecast calling for temperatures that high over the next 10 days.
2013 is the second-warmest June on record. The average temperature has been 94 degrees.
The last time Phoenix saw temperatures above 119 degrees was June 25, 1990.
The last time the Valley saw a streak of more than four days over 117 degrees was June 24, 1990 to June 28, 1990 — a streak that was not duplicated over the weekend.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.