PHOENIX — The number of Canadian tourists who visit Arizona continues to show tremendous growth.
“Over the past 10 years, we’ve had over had over 175 percent growth in the number of visitors. We are close to [750,000],” said Mary Rittmann, Director of Trade and Media Relations for the Arizona Office of Tourism. “In the year 2011, which is the latest year we have statistics for, it was over 700,000.”
Despite the positive trend, the AOT has hired Toronto-based Connect Worldwide, a representations and marketing firm to help promote the state.
“Canadians are familiar with Arizona, but it’s always important to be in front of them,” said Rittman. “More and more people have figured just how much Canadians travelers are traveling, so we have a lot more competition in Canada than we used to.”
Canadian visitation makes up nearly 15 percent of Arizona’s total 4.8 million international visitors. The total direct domestic and international economic impact is $18.3 billion.
“Second only to Mexico, Canada is one of the most important international visitor markets for us to promote Arizona as a travel destination,” said Kiva Couchon, Director of Communications for the Arizona Office of Tourism. “International visitors tend to stay longer, which lends to these visitors spending more throughout our state and contributing to Arizona’s economy.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments