PHOENIX — The number of Canadian tourists who visit Arizona continues to show tremendous growth.
“Over the past 10 years, we’ve had over had over 175 percent growth in the number of visitors. We are close to [750,000],” said Mary Rittmann, Director of Trade and Media Relations for the Arizona Office of Tourism. “In the year 2011, which is the latest year we have statistics for, it was over 700,000.”
Despite the positive trend, the AOT has hired Toronto-based Connect Worldwide, a representations and marketing firm to help promote the state.
“Canadians are familiar with Arizona, but it’s always important to be in front of them,” said Rittman. “More and more people have figured just how much Canadians travelers are traveling, so we have a lot more competition in Canada than we used to.”
Canadian visitation makes up nearly 15 percent of Arizona’s total 4.8 million international visitors. The total direct domestic and international economic impact is $18.3 billion.
“Second only to Mexico, Canada is one of the most important international visitor markets for us to promote Arizona as a travel destination,” said Kiva Couchon, Director of Communications for the Arizona Office of Tourism. “International visitors tend to stay longer, which lends to these visitors spending more throughout our state and contributing to Arizona’s economy.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon