PHOENIX — A three-alarm mulch fire in southwest Phoenix spread to a
salvage yard before crews contained it.
The fire was burning at 3250 S. 35th Ave. Officials believe a piece of heavy equipment ignited a mulch pile.
Phoenix Fire Department officials say the blaze broke out about 5 p.m. Friday.
Video from news helicopters appeared to show numerous vehicles and storage containers burning in a salvage yard next door to the mulch pile.
Fire officials say some abandoned buses, trailers, trucks and amublances.
They say some propane trucks may also have exploded, but there are no reports
of any injuries.
The blaze is sending up lots of smoke that can be seen from downtown Phoenix.
Phoenix police closed 35th Avenue in both directions between Lower Buckeye Road and Broadway because of the fire.
There was no estimate on how long it would take to put the fire out.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths