PHOENIX — A three-alarm mulch fire in southwest Phoenix spread to a
salvage yard before crews contained it.
The fire was burning at 3250 S. 35th Ave. Officials believe a piece of heavy equipment ignited a mulch pile.
Phoenix Fire Department officials say the blaze broke out about 5 p.m. Friday.
Video from news helicopters appeared to show numerous vehicles and storage containers burning in a salvage yard next door to the mulch pile.
Fire officials say some abandoned buses, trailers, trucks and amublances.
They say some propane trucks may also have exploded, but there are no reports
of any injuries.
The blaze is sending up lots of smoke that can be seen from downtown Phoenix.
Phoenix police closed 35th Avenue in both directions between Lower Buckeye Road and Broadway because of the fire.
There was no estimate on how long it would take to put the fire out.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick