PHOENIX — A three-alarm mulch fire in southwest Phoenix spread to a
salvage yard before crews contained it.
The fire was burning at 3250 S. 35th Ave. Officials believe a piece of heavy equipment ignited a mulch pile.
Phoenix Fire Department officials say the blaze broke out about 5 p.m. Friday.
Video from news helicopters appeared to show numerous vehicles and storage containers burning in a salvage yard next door to the mulch pile.
Fire officials say some abandoned buses, trailers, trucks and amublances.
They say some propane trucks may also have exploded, but there are no reports
of any injuries.
The blaze is sending up lots of smoke that can be seen from downtown Phoenix.
Phoenix police closed 35th Avenue in both directions between Lower Buckeye Road and Broadway because of the fire.
There was no estimate on how long it would take to put the fire out.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night