PHOENIX — The Phoenix Art Museum is getting a little louder this summer with the addition of “The Art of Video Games” exhibit.
The sounds of victory and defeat echoed through the halls as visitors tested their hand at a range of games both old and new.
“This is the loudest exhibition we’ve done with the ‘pings’ and ‘boings,'” said museum director Jim Ballinger.
The exhibit takes visitors through the evolution of video game technology, from the ever-popular 1980s game Pac-Man to a modern game Ballinger described as elegant.
“In the most recent era there’s this beautiful game called ‘Flowers’ that almost looks like it’s done by painters,” he said, adding that the game asks the player to take the position of a flower petal and manipulate it through the landscape.
Ballinger is excited that the exhibit is bringing in a new generation of visitors. He said a large chunk of the crowd is “gamers,” people who would be defined as video game enthusiasts.
But Ballinger hopes to attract more than just the “gamer” crowd.
“I think for people who are not gamers…it’s something for anyone who’s kind of curious, it gives them an opportunity to make up their own mind about the role of video games,” he said.
Author Chris Melissinos based the exhibit on a book he wrote detailing the history of video games. He is scheduled to speak Saturday.
The exhibit is in Phoenix until Sept. 29.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.