PHOENIX — The Phoenix Art Museum is getting a little louder this summer with the addition of “The Art of Video Games” exhibit.
The sounds of victory and defeat echoed through the halls as visitors tested their hand at a range of games both old and new.
“This is the loudest exhibition we’ve done with the ‘pings’ and ‘boings,'” said museum director Jim Ballinger.
The exhibit takes visitors through the evolution of video game technology, from the ever-popular 1980s game Pac-Man to a modern game Ballinger described as elegant.
“In the most recent era there’s this beautiful game called ‘Flowers’ that almost looks like it’s done by painters,” he said, adding that the game asks the player to take the position of a flower petal and manipulate it through the landscape.
Ballinger is excited that the exhibit is bringing in a new generation of visitors. He said a large chunk of the crowd is “gamers,” people who would be defined as video game enthusiasts.
But Ballinger hopes to attract more than just the “gamer” crowd.
“I think for people who are not gamers…it’s something for anyone who’s kind of curious, it gives them an opportunity to make up their own mind about the role of video games,” he said.
Author Chris Melissinos based the exhibit on a book he wrote detailing the history of video games. He is scheduled to speak Saturday.
The exhibit is in Phoenix until Sept. 29.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them