Only half of Americans say they know what travel insurance covers, according to a study released yesterday by thepointsguy.com.
The statistic isn’t terribly surprising considering the study also found that only 21 percent of Americans purchase travel insurance at all, and only 7 percent of those purchase it regularly.
“Even people who purchase travel insurance don’t know exactly what they are buying and what it will cover,” Brian Kelly, “The Points Guy,” wrote on his website Wednesday.
The survey also found the most prominent reason Americans buy travel insurance is to cover their costs in the case of a cancellation, and only 37 percent of respondents actually think travel insurance is worth their money.
“As more and more mainstream travelers venture farther afield to corners of the globe that were once inaccessible more and more of us are going to be considering travel insurance,” Kelly wrote, “it’s important to know what’s out there.”
JJ Feinauer is a graduate of Southern Virginia University and an intern for the Moneywise page on DeseretNews.com. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: @jjfeinauer.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night