PHOENIX — In response to a sweltering forecast, more agents have been called in to the U.S. Border Patrol’s Search, Trauma, and Rescue unit.
The BORSTAR is a unit made up of volunteer border agents who receive specialized training and are deployed to areas of concern and can provide assistance to people in distress, especially with potentially record-breaking heat.
Heat will not smugglers from leading a group of individuals into the desert.
“For the smuggling organizations, this is a business,” said Tucson Sector Border Patrol Agent Shelton McKenzie. “In order for them to get paid, they must attempt to cross their product [illegal immigrants] through the desert.
“The Sonoran desert is extremely hot. A lot of these migrants who are traversing through the desert, can never carry enough food or water to make the journey. That’s when migrants and smugglers alike find themselves perishing in the desert,” he said.
According to numbers released by the Border Patrol, the number of people being rescued in the region is increasing, while the number of fatalities is declining. Officials said the positive trend is a direct result of agents being better prepared to render aid to immigrants who are in need of assistance.
From October 2011 through May 2012, there were 265 desert rescues and 115 deaths. From October 2012 through May 2013, there have been 374 rescues and 99 deaths, though some officials believe that number to be higher.
Several bodies of immigrants have been found in the last week in Arizona. Agents in the Tucson sector rescued more than 170 people from the desert during a 30-day stretch in May and June when temperatures were lower than expected in the coming days.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier