PHOENIX — In response to a sweltering forecast, more agents have been called in to the U.S. Border Patrol’s Search, Trauma, and Rescue unit.
The BORSTAR is a unit made up of volunteer border agents who receive specialized training and are deployed to areas of concern and can provide assistance to people in distress, especially with potentially record-breaking heat.
Heat will not smugglers from leading a group of individuals into the desert.
“For the smuggling organizations, this is a business,” said Tucson Sector Border Patrol Agent Shelton McKenzie. “In order for them to get paid, they must attempt to cross their product [illegal immigrants] through the desert.
“The Sonoran desert is extremely hot. A lot of these migrants who are traversing through the desert, can never carry enough food or water to make the journey. That’s when migrants and smugglers alike find themselves perishing in the desert,” he said.
According to numbers released by the Border Patrol, the number of people being rescued in the region is increasing, while the number of fatalities is declining. Officials said the positive trend is a direct result of agents being better prepared to render aid to immigrants who are in need of assistance.
From October 2011 through May 2012, there were 265 desert rescues and 115 deaths. From October 2012 through May 2013, there have been 374 rescues and 99 deaths, though some officials believe that number to be higher.
Several bodies of immigrants have been found in the last week in Arizona. Agents in the Tucson sector rescued more than 170 people from the desert during a 30-day stretch in May and June when temperatures were lower than expected in the coming days.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy