PHOENIX — Mayor Greg Stanton released the following statement Wednesday after the Supreme Court said a California ban on gay marriage was unconstitutional.
The statement has not been altered in any way.
“In our country, the most cherished promises are all people are created equal and the government must treat all people equally. Today’s rulings from the Supreme Court go a long way to keeping these promises. I share in the joy of the LGBT community and allies for these momentous decisions.
“It is only a matter of time until marriage equality will be the law of the land for the entire country. Because of the Supreme Court decisions today, full equality is inevitable and will come sooner rather than later. Arizona must now live up to our values of freedom and individualism by being a leader and proactively repealing our discriminatory laws instead of being dragged along reluctantly.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon