PHOENIX — Mayor Greg Stanton released the following statement Wednesday after the Supreme Court said a California ban on gay marriage was unconstitutional.
The statement has not been altered in any way.
“In our country, the most cherished promises are all people are created equal and the government must treat all people equally. Today’s rulings from the Supreme Court go a long way to keeping these promises. I share in the joy of the LGBT community and allies for these momentous decisions.
“It is only a matter of time until marriage equality will be the law of the land for the entire country. Because of the Supreme Court decisions today, full equality is inevitable and will come sooner rather than later. Arizona must now live up to our values of freedom and individualism by being a leader and proactively repealing our discriminatory laws instead of being dragged along reluctantly.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments