CHANDLER, Ariz. — The city of Chandler wants to make sure kids head back to school ready to learn.
From now until July 20, the city will be collecting school supplies, backpacks and clothing items at numerous locations throughout Chandler, including public libraries, fire stations, police stations and Chandler City Hall.
“We’ve set a goal of trying to get 10,000 backpacks and the supplies that go in them, as well as socks, underwear, uniforms, and shoes to be able to help our Title 1 students as they go back to school in July,” said Leah Powell, Community Resources and Diversity Manager for the City of Chandler.
Under the No Child Left Behind Act, Title 1 provides financial assistance to local educational agencies to meet the needs of educationally disadvantaged children at preschool, elementary, and secondary school levels.
Powell said Chandler’s early start date makes it especially challenging to collect items for kids. Classes start July 22, while most Valley school districts start at the beginning of August.
“When people start thinking about back to school they typically don’t think about it this early, so it’s important for us to try to get as many donations as possible,” she said.
In addition to needing backpacks and supplies, 200 volunteers are needed to help distribute the filled backpacks to students at a July 20 distribution event and another 90 volunteers are needed on July 19 to help set up for the next day’s event.
To encourage people to donate, Chandler is giving away coupons for free pizza at Peter Piper Pizza, while supplies last.
For a complete list of donation sites and volunteer information, visit the For Our City website.
For those unable to shop for supplies, cash donations can be made online by visiting chandlerfoodbank.org.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.