CHANDLER, Ariz. — The city of Chandler wants to make sure kids head back to school ready to learn.
From now until July 20, the city will be collecting school supplies, backpacks and clothing items at numerous locations throughout Chandler, including public libraries, fire stations, police stations and Chandler City Hall.
“We’ve set a goal of trying to get 10,000 backpacks and the supplies that go in them, as well as socks, underwear, uniforms, and shoes to be able to help our Title 1 students as they go back to school in July,” said Leah Powell, Community Resources and Diversity Manager for the City of Chandler.
Under the No Child Left Behind Act, Title 1 provides financial assistance to local educational agencies to meet the needs of educationally disadvantaged children at preschool, elementary, and secondary school levels.
Powell said Chandler’s early start date makes it especially challenging to collect items for kids. Classes start July 22, while most Valley school districts start at the beginning of August.
“When people start thinking about back to school they typically don’t think about it this early, so it’s important for us to try to get as many donations as possible,” she said.
In addition to needing backpacks and supplies, 200 volunteers are needed to help distribute the filled backpacks to students at a July 20 distribution event and another 90 volunteers are needed on July 19 to help set up for the next day’s event.
To encourage people to donate, Chandler is giving away coupons for free pizza at Peter Piper Pizza, while supplies last.
For a complete list of donation sites and volunteer information, visit the For Our City website.
For those unable to shop for supplies, cash donations can be made online by visiting chandlerfoodbank.org.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy