PHOENIX — A Mexican airline announced Tuesday new routes between certain cities and Phoenix.
Volaris, the largest low-fare airline in Mexico, will fly three nonstop flights weekly between Phoenix and Mexico City and Guadalajara.
“Now we have another great way to welcome our friends from Mexico and to visit them there as well,” said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton in a press release.
Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport Director said international flights bring in over $3 billion to the Valley annually.
“Every passenger from Mexico spends an average of $1,700 here in the Phoenix metropolitan area,” said Stanton. “Every time a flight lands at Phoenix Sky Harbor from Mexico, we’re looking at over $200,000 into our local economy.”
Volaris currently serves 11 other American cities.
KTAR’s Sandra Haros contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America