PHOENIX — The Glendale City Council will present the public with an option Tuesday that would see City Hall used as collateral for a loan to pay for debts owed to the National Hockey League.
Glendale Chief Financial Officer Diane Goke said the loan would be for $30 million total.
“We’re putting up City Hall as collateral to pay back the interfund loans that we made for the Coyotes payments in 2011 and 2012,” she said, correcting herself to say “I’m sorry, not Coyotes payments, the payments to the NHL.”
$5 million of the loan would be paid to the NHL. Goke said the rest of the money would go for other things.
“$15 million would pay off the water and sewer fund. We have $5 million that would pay off the technology and vehicle replacement fund. Then we also have a payroll upgrade that we’re doing for $1 million.”
Goke said it not unusual for states and cities to try to use government buildings as a way to generate income.
“The state did it a couple of years ago,” she said. “The cities of Tucson and Scottsdale actually did it back in the 1980s.”
There’s no word yet on who might loan Glendale the money.
The city council also held a closed-door session Tuesday to get legal advice on the arena management deal for the city-owned Jobing.com Arena. The deal has not been finalized, but a city spokesperson said Glendale hopes to release details soon.
The public meeting is at 7 p.m. at Glendale City Hall.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them