PHOENIX — Summer break at the Foundation for Blind Children East Valley Campus isn’t much of a break at all.
Work is underway on a major makeover at the school, thanks to a young design student’s concept and the Inspire Design Foundation, the charitable arm of Scottsdale-based IMI Design Studio.
“We are trying to create a miracle is what we’re trying to do,” said Anita Lang, founder of IMI Design Studio. “I’m hoping to hear lots of laughter and cries of joys when the kids come back and especially when the teachers come back.”
They have a lot of work to do before school starts in early August. Lang said many things are being designed and built off-campus and the first contractors will show up Friday. A Braille abstract featuring a poem will welcome students and they’ll find many textures throughout the building.
“And the other component was the function of the space,” said Lang. “They spend a lot of time on their floor because a lot of the students not only do they have impairment visually, but also other physical limitations and handicaps. So a lot of times they’re sitting on the floor working through different types of lessons so even just making sure the comfort of the floor, putting a pad underneath the flooring so that it easily functions for them.”
Several vendors, artisans and architects have donated materials and labor, but Lang said they need cash, especially to do the flooring. For more information, go to imidesignstudio.com.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets