PHOENIX — Summer break at the Foundation for Blind Children East Valley Campus isn’t much of a break at all.
Work is underway on a major makeover at the school, thanks to a young design student’s concept and the Inspire Design Foundation, the charitable arm of Scottsdale-based IMI Design Studio.
“We are trying to create a miracle is what we’re trying to do,” said Anita Lang, founder of IMI Design Studio. “I’m hoping to hear lots of laughter and cries of joys when the kids come back and especially when the teachers come back.”
They have a lot of work to do before school starts in early August. Lang said many things are being designed and built off-campus and the first contractors will show up Friday. A Braille abstract featuring a poem will welcome students and they’ll find many textures throughout the building.
“And the other component was the function of the space,” said Lang. “They spend a lot of time on their floor because a lot of the students not only do they have impairment visually, but also other physical limitations and handicaps. So a lot of times they’re sitting on the floor working through different types of lessons so even just making sure the comfort of the floor, putting a pad underneath the flooring so that it easily functions for them.”
Several vendors, artisans and architects have donated materials and labor, but Lang said they need cash, especially to do the flooring. For more information, go to imidesignstudio.com.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life