PHOENIX — Summer break at the Foundation for Blind Children East Valley Campus isn’t much of a break at all.
Work is underway on a major makeover at the school, thanks to a young design student’s concept and the Inspire Design Foundation, the charitable arm of Scottsdale-based IMI Design Studio.
“We are trying to create a miracle is what we’re trying to do,” said Anita Lang, founder of IMI Design Studio. “I’m hoping to hear lots of laughter and cries of joys when the kids come back and especially when the teachers come back.”
They have a lot of work to do before school starts in early August. Lang said many things are being designed and built off-campus and the first contractors will show up Friday. A Braille abstract featuring a poem will welcome students and they’ll find many textures throughout the building.
“And the other component was the function of the space,” said Lang. “They spend a lot of time on their floor because a lot of the students not only do they have impairment visually, but also other physical limitations and handicaps. So a lot of times they’re sitting on the floor working through different types of lessons so even just making sure the comfort of the floor, putting a pad underneath the flooring so that it easily functions for them.”
Several vendors, artisans and architects have donated materials and labor, but Lang said they need cash, especially to do the flooring. For more information, go to imidesignstudio.com.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas