PHOENIX — You don’t have to live near the forest to be at risk of fire.
On average, the Grand Canyon Chapter of the American Red Cross responds to a house fire every 14 hours.
“The two most important things that people will lose initially are their cell phone and then their medication,” said Brian Gomez, spokesman for the Grand Canyon Chapter.
Gomez suggested everyone keep a list of contacts and medications in a safe place outside the home where it can be quickly accessed and everyone should have an evacuation plan.
“That way they can get out of their house and out of their neighborhood if there’s a larger scale disaster and share the plan with their family,” he sad.
The Red Cross also suggested people keep a comprehensive list of their possessions by going through each room, describing each item and how much it cost. Once the inventory is done, leave a sealed copy with a trusted friend or relative or place it in a safe deposit box.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain