PHOENIX — You don’t have to live near the forest to be at risk of fire.
On average, the Grand Canyon Chapter of the American Red Cross responds to a house fire every 14 hours.
“The two most important things that people will lose initially are their cell phone and then their medication,” said Brian Gomez, spokesman for the Grand Canyon Chapter.
Gomez suggested everyone keep a list of contacts and medications in a safe place outside the home where it can be quickly accessed and everyone should have an evacuation plan.
“That way they can get out of their house and out of their neighborhood if there’s a larger scale disaster and share the plan with their family,” he sad.
The Red Cross also suggested people keep a comprehensive list of their possessions by going through each room, describing each item and how much it cost. Once the inventory is done, leave a sealed copy with a trusted friend or relative or place it in a safe deposit box.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development