PHOENIX — You don’t have to live near the forest to be at risk of fire.
On average, the Grand Canyon Chapter of the American Red Cross responds to a house fire every 14 hours.
“The two most important things that people will lose initially are their cell phone and then their medication,” said Brian Gomez, spokesman for the Grand Canyon Chapter.
Gomez suggested everyone keep a list of contacts and medications in a safe place outside the home where it can be quickly accessed and everyone should have an evacuation plan.
“That way they can get out of their house and out of their neighborhood if there’s a larger scale disaster and share the plan with their family,” he sad.
The Red Cross also suggested people keep a comprehensive list of their possessions by going through each room, describing each item and how much it cost. Once the inventory is done, leave a sealed copy with a trusted friend or relative or place it in a safe deposit box.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier