PHOENIX — You don’t have to live near the forest to be at risk of fire.
On average, the Grand Canyon Chapter of the American Red Cross responds to a house fire every 14 hours.
“The two most important things that people will lose initially are their cell phone and then their medication,” said Brian Gomez, spokesman for the Grand Canyon Chapter.
Gomez suggested everyone keep a list of contacts and medications in a safe place outside the home where it can be quickly accessed and everyone should have an evacuation plan.
“That way they can get out of their house and out of their neighborhood if there’s a larger scale disaster and share the plan with their family,” he sad.
The Red Cross also suggested people keep a comprehensive list of their possessions by going through each room, describing each item and how much it cost. Once the inventory is done, leave a sealed copy with a trusted friend or relative or place it in a safe deposit box.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food