PHOENIX — A Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office detention officer is recovering after being viciously attacked by an inmate Monday.
Detention Officer Rachel Harris was conducting routine cell searches when an inmate, 20-year-old Bobby Ruiz, allegedly jumped on her back and bit part of her right ear off.
“I told him to come out (of the holding cell) and as he came out, I walked in and next thing I know he bit my ear,” said Harris.
“We don’t know where part of the ear is,” Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said. “We’re trying to locate that part but there’s a chance he may have swallowed part of the ear.”
Other inmates helped to pull Ruiz off of the officer.
“Once I saw the fear in (Harris’) eyes, it was like we have to stop this,” said inmate Andrew Davis. “You could see blood real thick behind her ear and the guy (Ruiz) had blood around his mouth. And then he took a swing at me and we ended up fighting.”
Davis said he doesn’t consider his actions heroic. He said he jumped into action instinctively.
He is nursing an injury as a result of the fight. He and the other inmates were rewarded Tuesday for their actions: The sheriff let them eat pizza.
Harris appeared to take the assault in stride.
“I knew what I signed up for,” she said.
Ruiz is in prison for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Arpaio said Ruiz has been arrested 10 times in the past two years.
Arpaio said Ruiz was immediately placed on lockdown and put on a diet of only bread and water.
The sheriff said Ruiz will face charges for the attack.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns