PHOENIX — A Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office detention officer is recovering after being viciously attacked by an inmate Monday.
Detention Officer Rachel Harris was conducting routine cell searches when an inmate, 20-year-old Bobby Ruiz, allegedly jumped on her back and bit part of her right ear off.
“I told him to come out (of the holding cell) and as he came out, I walked in and next thing I know he bit my ear,” said Harris.
“We don’t know where part of the ear is,” Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said. “We’re trying to locate that part but there’s a chance he may have swallowed part of the ear.”
Other inmates helped to pull Ruiz off of the officer.
“Once I saw the fear in (Harris’) eyes, it was like we have to stop this,” said inmate Andrew Davis. “You could see blood real thick behind her ear and the guy (Ruiz) had blood around his mouth. And then he took a swing at me and we ended up fighting.”
Davis said he doesn’t consider his actions heroic. He said he jumped into action instinctively.
He is nursing an injury as a result of the fight. He and the other inmates were rewarded Tuesday for their actions: The sheriff let them eat pizza.
Harris appeared to take the assault in stride.
“I knew what I signed up for,” she said.
Ruiz is in prison for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Arpaio said Ruiz has been arrested 10 times in the past two years.
Arpaio said Ruiz was immediately placed on lockdown and put on a diet of only bread and water.
The sheriff said Ruiz will face charges for the attack.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon