PHOENIX — A Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office detention officer is recovering after being viciously attacked by an inmate Monday.
Detention Officer Rachel Harris was conducting routine cell searches when an inmate, 20-year-old Bobby Ruiz, allegedly jumped on her back and bit part of her right ear off.
“I told him to come out (of the holding cell) and as he came out, I walked in and next thing I know he bit my ear,” said Harris.
“We don’t know where part of the ear is,” Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said. “We’re trying to locate that part but there’s a chance he may have swallowed part of the ear.”
Other inmates helped to pull Ruiz off of the officer.
“Once I saw the fear in (Harris’) eyes, it was like we have to stop this,” said inmate Andrew Davis. “You could see blood real thick behind her ear and the guy (Ruiz) had blood around his mouth. And then he took a swing at me and we ended up fighting.”
Davis said he doesn’t consider his actions heroic. He said he jumped into action instinctively.
He is nursing an injury as a result of the fight. He and the other inmates were rewarded Tuesday for their actions: The sheriff let them eat pizza.
Harris appeared to take the assault in stride.
“I knew what I signed up for,” she said.
Ruiz is in prison for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Arpaio said Ruiz has been arrested 10 times in the past two years.
Arpaio said Ruiz was immediately placed on lockdown and put on a diet of only bread and water.
The sheriff said Ruiz will face charges for the attack.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes