Gov. Jan Brewer is now supporting the Senate’s bipartisan immigration bill which would grant undocumented immigrants, especially those effected by the 2010 Arizona Law SB 1070, a path to citizenship.
According to ABC News Brewer said:
“I think that what we’re seeing taking place in the Senate is a victory for Arizona,”
The irony is that Brewer originally supported the passing of SB 1070 but during a recent interview on Fox News she spoke approvingly of the new bill.
The new border security amendment would add almost 20,000 Border Patrol agents, nearly doubling the size of the Border Patrol, and 700 miles of fencing along the southern border.
This addition could cost the federal government up to 30 million just to hire new Border Patrol agents. However, this is not the first time Brewer has urged congress to spend more on border security, and once put into effect the proposal would create many new jobs in Arizona.
Pleased with what good the bill could do for Arizona, Brewer said:
“We need the workers, we need a lot of those people in Arizona, but we have to be satisfied that it’s going to occur. And the first step is those resources on the border.”
This Monday, following the interview on Fox New, Brewer tweeted that her comments mainly focused on the border security amendment, as opposed to the entire immigration bill.
I am supportive of the border surge element of the Corker amendment. Border security MUST come first as part of any bill. #immigration
— Jan Brewer (@GovBrewer) June 24, 2013
Watch the full interview with Brewer here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier